Monday, August 4, 2014

My first missed launch while being in Florida, but at least I was playing ice hockey! #GPS2F7 on #AtlasV

Friday night I was on the ice playing hockey, yes ice hockey in Florida, so I missed my first launch ever while being in the same location/State. Apparently one of my teammates felt the building rumble. Next time I'll have to wear my digital sports watch and set an alarm. Douglas Adams would not approve of me not wearing my Timex 24/7. I was tempted to set an alarm, throw on skate guards, and "run" outside, but there will be plenty more launches to witness. At least I was able to capture a few photos of the rocket on the launchpad during the #SpaceInterns tour of CCAFS/KSC earlier this summer (Photo from 21 July).

A drive by of SLC (or LC) 41 and a view of GPS 2F-7 on top of a Atlas 5 rocket. This was the only view of the rocket I saw since I was playing hockey during the launch late Friday night.

The official Spaceflightnow.com summary:
Aug. 1/2 Atlas 5  •  GPS 2F-7
Launch window: 0323 GMT on 2nd (11:23 p.m. EDT on 1st)
Launch site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket launched the Air Force's seventh Block 2F navigation satellite for the Global Positioning System. The rocket flew in the 401 vehicle configuration with a four-meter fairing, no solid rocket boosters and a single-engine Centaur upper stage. Delayed from July 31. See our Mission Status Center. [Aug. 1]

Space!
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment