Tuesday, September 16, 2014

CLIO launch to space on an Atlas 5

Seth and I watched from the CCAFS ITL Causeway, it was his first launch up close even though he has lived in Florida his whole life. The window started at 5:44pm and the weather delays pushed it right to the window end at 8:10pm. It was a beautiful night launch. I was busy giving everyone around us updates and unfortunately I had my camera turned off for the most important few minutes, the actual launch! That photo-miss left a bitter taste in my mouth, but that would be soon forgotten with the upcoming SpaceX launch of CRS-4! I did happen to get the launch on my iPhone in "HD" and it was really cool to be able to see the rocket's flame through the cloud deck as it streaked away and punched through each layer. It's also fun to watch the lens flare in the video. We also saw a large alligator swimming back and forth along the inlet watching the launch watchers. There was a Dolphin to the south as well for the full nature show. Seth was super excited about the experience (so was I except missing the photo) and that's what launch viewing is all about!

Rocket avec gator.
Whoops! This was an unfortunate user error...



The official stats:
Sept. 16/17 Atlas 5  •  CLIO
Launch time: 0010 GMT on 17th (8:10 p.m. EDT on 16th)
Launch site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket, designated AV-049, launched the CLIO mission on a commercial flight for a U.S. government customer. See our Mission Status Center. [Sept. 16]

Space!
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment